Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Archetype: Light and Dark

Continuing with my theme of looking at myths and archetypes in Shakespeare's works.  I looked at the archetype of darkness a few posts ago.  Jennifer Prusse wrote a comment on my blog guiding me to a blog Hanna Pulley had done on the same idea of light and dark.   She talked about Rosaline verses Juliet, and how Shakespeare cleverly compares Rosaline to darkness, and Juliet to light - like "Juliet is the sun."

I thought the use of archetype specifically as applied to a character was interesting.  I looked up an article at the BYU library about the archetype compared to a person.  I found one by Anson C Flyer called, "Self-Unification: An Archetypal Analysis of Prospero in Shakespeare's The Tempest."  This article talks about light and dark inside of Prospero, melding in nicely with the arcetype of light and dark as well as another post I did on the shadow archetype as Prospero battles with himself to become a 'unified' person.  Prospero struggles to find a balance between animus and anima,  finding this balance in the old sage, or wise old man, figure in the play. 

I thought this was an interesting idea and I hope others do as well.  The shadow archetype as well as archetypes of light and dark fascinate me and I'm really enjoying taking a closer look into them.