Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Self Evaluation

Alright, so here is an evaluation of my blog, using my own evaluations and some suggestions/comments from Natashya who did a peer review for my blog:
  • Posts
    • Quantity:  I have 39 blogs, 18 of which are specific to my research topic.  I think this has been a sufficient amount of blogs to explore Shakespeare, and also research specific to Myths and Archetypes in Shakespeare. 
    • Content:  I have a variety of different posts.  Some posts I have just had fun with (silly, but I had a blast writing this one), while in others I try to really examine Shakespeare's texts and analyze his plays. I've learned a lot using media, and tried to use pictures in most of my blogs, and have added videos before.  I think the media use is applicable to the blog, and also livens it up a bit so it isn't boring to look at.  As well as textual analysis I do have media analysis
    • Format: My titles have become more specific (such as Myth: Witches, or Archetype: Shadow).   I've tried to consistently use jump breaks if my blogs are longer than a screen length.  Some blogs are tagged, I've tried to make sure that there is at least one blog tagged per learning outcome requirement (although for outside readers these kinds of tags will make little sense.) 
  • Research
    • Thematic Focus: My focus is on Myths and Archetypes in Shakespeare.  I think this is evident in both my hub post, and my supporting posts. 
    • Thesis & Cohesion: My hub post explores the greater death that can be found in Shakespeare's works by looking at them through a critical lens.  Applicable blogs have been hyper-linked too. 
    • Sources: My sources page, lists the different authors I have used in my posts throughout the year, which are appropriately linked to the blog they are quoted in.  Natashya did comment that I could qualify my sources, so people know why the people I quote are applicable to the subject matter - which I'm working on. 
  • Personal & Social
    • Author identity: I try to make my posts interesting, putting a personal spin on my research so that it sounds fun and interesting.  The blog probably reflects my personality as a whole more than myths - as it has a pink background.  I think it looks friendly and bright, which I hope represents me as an author.
    • Documentation of Process:  I think my posts have definitely developed as I've continued to blog and research.  By my later posts I knew what I was doing better, and felt more comfortable with my research topic and I think my blogs reflect this.  I also tried to give quick updates, not necessarily in separate blogs, but sometimes attached  at the beginning of the blog (e. g.)
    • Interactions:  I left comments on other blogs and also received comments on my blogs.  I tried to understand and incorporate into my blog suggestions I received - it was really fun working with others.
  • Design
    • Appropriate to Theme: I think myth is a hard subject to orient a blog towards - maybe something purple and navy blue with sparkly mysterious stars would work better . . . but I don't think my color scheme detracts from the subject as is. 
    • Side content:  I don't have much side content, I think a lot of it is distracting, and I think the blog looks nice and organized without it.  
- Also, just because I think it will be more helpful in evaluating.  I am going to put some links to blogs that fill specific class requirements and learning outcomes below: 

  • 1 - Gain "Shakespeare Literacy"
  1. Breadth - I think just browsing through my blog should show that I've looked at a lot of different plays.
  2. Depth - In this class I mostly just browsed plays, but I have studied Macbeth in depth in 3 different English classes, and I've read it probably 4-5 times as well as watching it performed live twice as well as watching it in DVD form.
  3. Performance: I performed in Much Ado About Nothing, as well as participated in our Skype reading in class.
  4. Legacy (history, scholarship, popular culture)
  • 2 - Analyze Shakespeare Critically
  1. Textual analysis
  2. contextual analysis
  3. application of literary theories - my research topic is mythic and archetypal criticism, so I hope I've got this one covered :)
  4. analysis of digital mediation - I analyzed Antony and Cleopatra, as well as the class skype call and my Shakespeare performance.  
  • 3 - Engage Shakespeare Creatively
  1. performance - skype, and my Shakespeare performance (you've seen them before so I'm not going to bother to link them again)
  2. literary imitation - loved this one!
  •  4 - Share Shakespeare Meaningfully
  1. formal writing - both in my research topic, and in other analysis I've done throughout the semester I hope this is readily available. 
  2. informal writing - hopefully I have a variety of the two that can be spotted just by scrolling through the blog
  3.  Connecting (in blog, in comments)
 - Sorry L O N G blog!